Music, Muses, Questions, and Lagniappe


Music is in my soul and in my blood. I live for it and breathe for it. At one time, there wasn't a day that went by that I wouldn't play several CDs.

Pity I'm both rhythm-less and tone deaf.

In school, I loved music class, until the day I was asked to bring in a song to dissect the chorus and refrain as well as the bridge and the coda. I was in 7th grade and I was so excited. What did I do? I didn't bring in any Rock, R&B, Pop, or Hip-Hop. No, I brought in COUNT BASIE. Why? Because I listened to my mother, of course. AND because I liked the songs she introduced me to. I still like them.

I still cringe to think about the reaction of my classmates. It was an epic failure. I was shy....more shy. (I know what some of you are saying about my claims of shyness. To that I say, Do you, Boo Boo. Okay? :p) I wasn't mature enough to stand in my own truth and what I believed in. I wasn't brave enough to tell them I love MOST types of music. I just stood in mortification as most of the class laughed at me.

What does this story have to do with sharing my first attempt at songwriting? My mother, of course. She wants me to write a melody to Inferno. Yes, the song is titled Inferno, but will be in book 2, Incendiary. Even when I asked in outrage, "ARE YOU KIDDING ME?", she's insistent. First, I never really learned to play guitar. I wanted to play lead guitar, but my parents didn't think it was lady like. Whatever. By the time, I could pay for my own lessons, I was doing other things.

Inferno (the song or the words to the song) is below and is the second draft. Because, yes, I love a good challenge, so yesterday, I looked up how to write melodies and worked on the words a teensy bit more. Am I any closer to getting a melody after spending hours frustrating myself to no end? Um, no.

What did I do to un-frustrate myself? I shot one of the characters in Incendiary. In the second draft, the character may be un-shot and I take the scene in a completely different direction. You'd be surprised at what goes on the cutting room floor as I transition from draft 1 to draft 2 to draft 3.

Below Sloane's song to Georgie are questions I've gotten and my answers.


Inferno (Sloane’s song for Georgie)

© Kathryn Kelly 2015

Verse 1:

The fire inside of me

The love that I feel

Is what dried up

my heartache and tears

 

 

Chorus:

Your love made me heal

Your love made me feel

Your beauty consumed me

Your touch was my torch

That turned into an inferno

 

Refrain:

Inferno

Inferno

Inferno

 

Verse 2:

I’ll gladly cast

My soul into the flames

As long as you join me

And bathe me in your sweet love

 

Chorus:

Your love made me heal

Your love made me feel

Your beauty consumed me

Your touch was my torch

That turned into an inferno

 

Refrain:

Inferno

Inferno

Inferno

 

Climb:

You’ll always burn inside of me

Your amethyst eyes

are the mirror

to all that we share

You’re the only girl

who’ll ever own me

 

Chorus:

Your love made me heal

Your love made me feel

Your beauty consumed me

Your touch was my torch

That turned into an inferno

 

Refrain:

Inferno

Inferno

Inferno

 

Coda:

You’re the moth to my flame

The raven haired beauty

who made me heal

Your love is an Inferno

My inferno

Inferno



Questions & Answers with Kat

1.) Why do you 'like' good reviews and bypass bad reviews on Goodreads?
 
This is a hard one. Seriously. As much as I appreciate everyone reading my books, whether they love, like, or hate them, I have moments of doubt. I'm no longer "the author". I'm just me. As ME, I get depressed when I see negative reviews. It doesn't mean I'm not thankful that a reader gave my book a chance in the first place. This is the best answer that I can give, so I hope this helps.
 
2.) Didn't you say you're not on Goodreads much?
 
I did. But if I've sent out review copies, I'll go on and check during the first few days of my book's release.
 
3.) How many books are in each series?
 
The Death Dwellers MC series will have a total of 10 books: Misled, Misappropriate, Misunderstood, Misdeeds, Misbehavior, Misjudged, Misguided, Misalliance, Misconduct, and Misfit.
 
Phoenix Rising Rock Band is currently scheduled to have two: Inferno and Incendiary.
 
4.) Will there be HEAs?
 
As far as I know. Or, at least, satisfactory endings. Let's take Johnnie and Kendall as an example. Not everyone agrees with how their story turned out. For me, it was an HEA. For others, not so much.
 
5.) Do you have plans for another series? A spin off of the Death Dwellers, maybe?
 
Not at the moment. My releases in the second half of the year will be standalones.
 
6.) How old will Georgie be at the end of Incendiary?
 
She should be 18.
 
7.) How old is Georgie in Inferno? Is she a minor throughout?
 
It starts out when she's four months from her 17th birthday, so she's 16. It ends when she's 17.
 
8.) Who are the men on your covers?
 
Daniel Sobieray (Misled and Misjudged). Jimmy Thomas is on the original cover. Robert Rieder (Misunderstood, Misdeeds, Misalliance), Logan Barnhart (Misbehavior's new cover), Travis Lee Ferguson (Misguided), DeLonn Donovan (Misconduct).
 
9.)What type of sense of humor do you have?
 
Raunchy
 
10.) Will you ever reveal yourself?
 
I've been asked this one a lot. My answer is yes. I will attend the Glass City Conference in October 2016, so you'll get to see me live and in person. Just be prepared.
 
11.) Why aren't you attending any conferences in New Orleans? You live there.
 
It still takes, like, um, money, to participate. I also have children and a mom with health issues.
 
12.) I hear you're in Houston a lot. Is that true?
 
No comment. :-) ;-)
 
 
Okay, y'all. I'm stopping here. I will go through more questions at a later date. Perhaps, I'll do a FAQ page. Have an awesome day.
 
p.s. Yes, I answer my own email, my personal FB messages, and GR messages. My assistant, Claire, does assist me on my FB author page.
 
 
 


Comments

  1. Contact me at www.delonndonovan.com or www.facebook.com/DeLonn.Donovanfanpage

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts